Be thankful that you don’t already have everything you desire.
If you did, what would there be to look forward to?
I think there are at least two lessons here:
- Be grateful for the things you don’t have because sometimes the things you desire are things you don’t need.
- The more you desire, the more you will have to look forward to in your life.
I’m such a grateful person because I’ve been blessed with many unanswered prayers. When I was 14 years old I had a crush on a boy named Ryan. I wasted many nights praying that he would “go out” with me yet he never showed me any interest at all. In the end, God knew what was best for me and never answered that prayer.
As Garth Brook sings:
Sometimes I thank God for unanswered prayers
Remember when you’re talkin’ to the man upstairs
That just because he doesn’t answer doesn’t mean he don’t care
Some of God’s greatest gifts are unanswered prayers
A friend of mine once asked me in an exacerbated tone….
ARE YOU EVER GOING TO STOP LEARNING!?
I thought briefly about her question and responded intuitively. I hope not! I want to learn and continue to desire things until I die. There is always something more I want to learn, read, and try out. The more I learn the more I realize that life holds miraculous things that I want to learn more about! Desire is not a bad thing it propels us forward in life and gives us purpose.
I Want To:
– Consistently exercise, meditate, eat healthy and sleep well
– Send out positive energy of joy and love to the world
– Shine bright and give others permission to do the same
– Travel more, write a memoir and inspire others to rise above their circumstances
– Be an impactful leader in my niche as a Compliance Officer
– Inspire others to pursue their artistic passions, learn new art techniques and teach
– Develop a supportive SoCal female entrepreneur community
– Meet amazing artists, participate in art retreats and attend meditation retreats
– Spend Sunday afternoons relaxing with my husband, drinking a cup of coffee and playing a game of chess
– Attend Mass more frequently, pray more consistently and volunteer in my community
Having desires, goals, aspirations and dreams helps me have a zest for life. I have a pleasurable tendency to get seduced by learning new things and each time this occurs I get swept up with a strong passion to wake up every morning and learn even more things.
So today I am extremely grateful that I don’t have everything I desire because it affords me with a plethora of things to look forward to.
– What is an unanswered prayer that you are grateful for?
– What do you desire that you are grateful you don’t yet have?
My Previous Gratitude Journal Posts
If you want to join me on this journey of recognizing more gratitude in life please sign up here.